Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Create Great Memories with Thanksgiving Crafts

If you’re a teacher, you know your students are preparing for the Thanksgiving break.  Soon there will be Christmas/New Year’s break and… wow, the school year is almost half over! Some of my fondest memories are from all the fun crafts we created during the holiday seasons. 
I distinctly remember how my school days would be spent as a child the week before Thanksgiving. In class, we would create lots of Thanksgiving crafts, projects and art work. I particularly remember making turkey drawings by tracing our hands and then coloring them in to look like turkeys. Sometimes we even made turkey cut-outs or puppets this way.
Having said this, I decided to do some research and find craft website sites that have a lot of Thanksgiving crafts and project ideas.  My last blog provided my 12 favorite teacher resources websites, so finding a few exceptional craft sites was easy.  Here are three that I particularly like:
My favorite is from EnchantedLearning.com  -  http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/thanksgiving/  - It has a large number of cut-out crafts and printable items.  Many of the printable items include lessons on Thanksgiving so your kids can color and learn at the same time. This site is best for K-3rd grade.
My next favorite site is “Familyfun” by Disney - http://familyfun.go.com/thanksgiving/ - Their Thanksgiving section is filled with a wide variety of projects ranging from Thanksgiving recipes to crafts, printables, games and traditions. Everything on this site is first class and fun to explore.
My last choice is Educatation.com Thanksgiving Central. - http://www.education.com/seasonal/thanksgiving/ -This site has lots of kitchen crafts showing you how to make a table runner, table fruit art and more. There are printables, coloring pages, activities, and a Thanksgiving history section that is concise. The last item worth mentioning is a section called “How to Make the Most of Thanksgiving.”  It’s filled with ideas for creating Thanksgiving traditions.
There are numerous websites that include Thanksgiving materials for teachers. What I have included is just a small portion of what’s out there. However, these three sites have the most, and best that I have found to date. Best of all, every craft and printable idea they offer is free.
Do you know of a terrific Thanksgiving website that offers free crafts? Are you willing to share them with us? Please provide your comments, and tell us about the resources you use. I’m sure our readers would love to know.
Until next time, this is Hector Cisneros for A Quantum Leap, wishing you and your family many Thanksgiving blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment